A person’s self-portrait pained by custom paint by numbers canvas reflects their views on themselves and can take various artistic forms not limited to one. By sharing these portraits to the public, the artists are giving their audiences the permission to see them through their own eyes which makes quite the connection between the two.
People are fond of observing others, but few have made great efforts to understand themselves. This is the challenge in Painting Self Portraits, because without enough knowledge on what and who you truly are, your audiences wouldn’t be able to interpret your inner self through your art.
Fascinating Portraits of Famous Musicians
Painting, just like making music, is a self-expression. Many musicians have exposed their inner selves through music. Similarly, many prolific musicians have also created their own self-portraits in a completely different medium, that of painting or sketching, which is out of their comfort zone.
These works reveal a lot about how these renowned musicians view themselves in contrast to how the public sees them. Some of these portraits will probably have your mouths drop in awe, because of the following reasons:
- Its authenticity and uniqueness
- Its deep and profound meaning that possibly only the artists can fully comprehend
- They reveal the talent that went almost unrecognized
Art has no boundaries and can take on different modes of expression:
- Visual artists make use of traditional tools to express themselves and most of their masterpieces are exhibited in museums. Their pieces of art are interpreted in various ways depending on who is looking.
- Performing artists. Musicians are under this category, and they reveal themselves through a different mode of expression which is by creating music.
Being famous in the music industry, these personalities are known for their song compositions. However unbeknownst to the public, a lot of these notable personalities in the field of music are also fascinating visual artists.
David Bowie’s series of self-portraits from the year 1990s for example, had sold 6,500 euros at an auction earlier in November 2012.
Just like him, there are a lot of other musicians who also ventured into the field of visual arts at some points in their lives. In fact, many of them are promising at the craft with art styles that one wouldn’t expect them to have.
Some worth mentioning unusual self-portraits musicians include:
- Paul Simonon, who drew himself as a skeleton
- Kurt Cobain as in a somewhat horrific alien-like form
- Nick Cave’s explicit but meaningful self-portrait.
It is astounding to see these artists in their own point of views. Below, we have compiled some self-portraits of famous musicians that you might want to check out.
In a way these, masterpieces remind us that the celebrities that we idolize almost like gods are humans just like us despite their fame, wealth and success.